Friday, April 14, 2006

Nouwen on being a good shepherd

"Good Shepherds are willing to lay down their lives for their sheep (see John 10:11). As spiritual leaders walking in the footsteps of Jesus, we are called to lay down our lives for our people. This laying down might in special circumstances mean dying for others. But it means first of all making our own lives - our sorrows and joys, our despair and hope, our loneliness and experience of intimacy - available to others as sources of new life.One of the greatest gifts we can give others is ourselves. We offer consolation and comfort, especially in moments of crisis, when we say: "Do not be afraid, I know what you are living and I am living it with you. You are not alone." Thus we become Christ-like shepherds."

Sometimes I don't want to be a good shepherd at all. I want to be self absorbed and careless.
When we talk of dying to self it really really isn't a once for all thing, but more the need for a daily decision, and grace.
Lord have mercy.

2 comments:

  1. At least we are not foolishly disillusioned that you are struggling with different things than we are.



    Indeed we need grace every day - some days an extra big helping.



    Christ have mercy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Sometimes I don't want to be a good shepherd at all. I want to be self absorbed and careless.

    When we talk of dying to self it really really isn't a once for all thing, but more the need for a daily decision, and grace.



    Lord have mercy."



    Amen to that.

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.