Wednesday, August 23, 2006

An Update on the Locals

Well, I think that we made it through a bit of a bumpy patch there. Saying goodbye to the girls turned out to be harder than i thought. Though it's nice to have their rooms empty and have the entire floor just to Lauralea and I, I still go into their rooms and think, and miss them.

Johanna seems to have landed hard on her heart in Switzerland. Being "Forced" into relationships with different people can be a real tough thing. It can make you or break you. So far it's making her. She has two weeks learning the parenting approach of parents she will Au Pair for, then she's on her own with two little girls - one potty training and both speaking fast french.

Hillary is ensconced in her shared apartment in Saskatoon, getting ready for University to start. The learning curve is steep there in the big city. Last nite she called us from her cell phone, after leaving my mom's house and getting on the wrong bus, for an hour, then finding the right bus, then getting off at the wrong stop, then walking for a looong while, all after dark. (She watched to many CSI Shows which didn't help, but would she listen?...) She seems to be settling in nicely though. She's worked very hard to be there, so I know she will do well there.  I just told her to buy a city map. That will help her with the learning curve.

Thomas, as I just announced, now has his drivers license. This means his mother won't have to drive him to school next week, and I won't have to drive him and Micah to Youth meetings at the church. Sweet. He's ready for grade eleven, but is grade eleven ready for him? We'll see.

And Micah. Heading into grade seven, we are trying to instill in him a new life's motto, "I Shall Not Be Late." Good grief we only live across the street from the school and he's always late. What's that about, besides bad parenting.

And as for Lauralea and I?

New life calls for new things. We went out yesterday and purchased a new shower curtain for OUR bathroom. We got a set of curtains for our GUEST ROOM. And for the first time ever, I believe, we bought sheets for our bed. (I think we are still  using some from our wedding!) Nice new good sheets. Life is taking a turn, that's for sure.

I'll now return you to your regularly scheduled randallfriesen.com.

Whatever regular is any more.

4 comments:

  1. enjoy the "breaking in" of the sheets! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahem, consider them broken in.


    We slept in them last night and I slept like a baby.


    That's what you meant of course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys are tooooo funny! What about the new shower curtain. I can just imagine. Ahemmm, we just got one too ;-)

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.