Monday, January 22, 2007

the day had to come.

It"s my dad"s birthday this week.
It"s also the week of the day seven months ago that he died.

I didn"t realize it till Sunday, and then a terror shot through me while I was trying to figure out what day Sunday was and had I actually missed his birthday. I took a deep breath when I found out it was the 21st yesterday, and not the 25th.

So, it"s the first year with no calls or cards or cake.

It was to be his 65th birthday. A date the Doctors were not sure he would make, and they told him so.

His response to them was that he had paid so much to the government over the years in pension payments that it was his goal to get some of that money back, and he had every intention of seeing some of it returned to him.

Only it didn"t work that way.

And I suppose life is like that, in not always turning out like we thought it should.

Sometimes if I"m honest, those are the moments that frighten me. I don"t know how this all turns out, and I don"t know how I"ll handle it, when it does.

But one of the things I did learn from my dad was to take each day as it comes, piece by piece and day by day. And at the end of it all, it will be ok.

Because at the end of it all, stands the one who holds the beginning of life.

It will be ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.