Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Eugene Peterson, on the god of self

“A new twist on non-Trinitarian ways of reading the Bible has emerged in our times. It has reached the scale of an epidemic
and requires special attention. It can be understood best, I think, as a replacement Trinity. . . . Here’s how it works. It is
important to observe that in the formulation of this new Trinity that defines the self as the sovereign text for living, the Bible is
neither ignored nor banned; it holds, in fact, an honored place. But the three-personal Father, Son, and Holy Spirit is replaced
by a very individualized personal Trinity of my Holy Wants, my Holy Needs, and my Holy Feelings.”

Eugene H. Peterson, Eat This Book, A Conversation in the art of Spiritual Reading

1 comment:



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.