Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Steeper than I thought

So many times I have been with people who are in the place Lauralea and I find ourselves in these days.

And, like I tell them, when they are ready to hear it, there are things they will learn in this difficult season of life, that they will never learn any other place or time in their lives.

Now we are in that place. And I find the educational learning curve extensive and steep.

I am learning things I never understood, about my fathers own response to his illness. I am learning what it takes to live in the land of unknowing. I am learning things I never had opportunity to really learn before.

These things are perhaps to be expected, but I didn't understand how much these things also effect relationships. The dynamics of years of being together suddenly come face to face against a harsh reality, the foundation is shaken, but you both grow through it. You make choices, new choices about your relationship that you haven't had to make, ever.

It's a bizarre new world out there people, even after 25 years of friendship, 23 of marriage.

But, it is new, and desperate, and deep, and true.

Next Thursday there will be surgery, and the result of that surgery will tell us if there will be more surgery and waiting, or whether we can get on with life.

But we will be forever changed by this living in the land of unknowing. We are learning and experiencing things that will shift and shape us for the rest of our lives, in most amazing and insightful ways.

It is difficult, but it is ok.

When you think of our bunch, pray for us won't you?

Thanks.

Nite.

6 comments:

  1. I will pray Randall. And though I know everyone is different, I must encourage you from my own personal experiences that when faced with these times you will be able to dig deep within to find what you need and did not know was there. As well He will have your front, back and sides.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God's hearing about this from me. You're all in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The trouble is that we are so used to working everything out through the use of words - esp in this sort of medium. But there are times like this that go way beyond words, making us realise their inadequacy. God is with you - possibly that is all there is to say - but that is more than enough in the deep silent places of the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Before they call, I will answer; and while they are yet speaking, I will hear" Isaiah 65 : 24
    During the darkest times of my life, and there have been several, I have clung to the truth of this verse.He is telling us that if we pray according to the will of God, we already have what we pray for at the moment we ask it. We do not know exactly when it will arrive; but we have learned to know God through His Spirit and have learned to live in confidence and joy and peace whether the answer arrives immediatly or later.
    Many are holding your family up... I was awakened at 3 am today and reminded to pray. You are not alone and God will see you through this time and the day will come when you will look back and say "He was so near". Have a day of blessing and strength.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will pray ...

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.