Thursday, April 17, 2008

Drummers may be less dumb than originally thought!

Oh, really?
Well now they have some ammunition against the other musicians.

Drummers are better known for their beats than their brain power, but research has suggested that they might actually be natural intellectuals.

Scientists who asked volunteers to keep time with a drumstick before taking intelligence tests discovered that those with the best sense of rhythm also scored highest in the mental assessments.

Prof Frederic Ullen, from the Karolinska Institutet in Stockholm, concluded that there was a link between intelligence, good timing and the part of the brain used for problem-solving.



This is gonna go right to their heads.

12 comments:

  1. Leo is in big trouble!

    Actually - I woner what he could have been with rhythm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Almost makes me glad my brother's away for 4 months, think this would go straight to his head.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "This is gonna go right to their heads."

    Yeah, but how many times will you have to tell them before they remember?

    I'll leave you with this bit of insight....
    Did you hear about the time the bass player locked his keys in the car?
    It took two hours to get the drummer out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dean doesn't know what he's talking about. I mean... wasn't it the BASSIST who locked his keys in the car?! Honestly!

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steve MenshenfriendApril 20, 2008 at 9:44 AM

    I emailed this to my drummer ... and the drummer jokes started rolling in. What do you call a guy that hangs out with musicians? ... the drummer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How can you tell when there's a drummer at your door?

    The knocks speed up and he doesn't know when to come in!

    ReplyDelete
  7. On the flipside, I will defend Dixie as a drummer, because she IS a musician and understands composition, arrangements, and tasteful accompaniment. And I have played with a number of other fantastic drummers who exemplify the above attributes. However, I have also played with a number of the "stereotype" drummers, and sufficive to say, not all stereotypes are unfounded.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's Dean's birthday present to you.

    I never knew drummers had such a rep. I've been getting jokes told to me all over town as a result of this post.

    ...and some of them are really really funny...

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.