Tuesday, January 20, 2009

History is being made today. Updated.

... I need to go find a video feed.

 

Wow. What an inauguration, what a day for you south of the border types. And then of course, for the world.

Whatever you may say about his politics, and there may be much to be said, I don't know. But the way he has captured the hearts of many Americans, and the way he desires to move forward gives me hope for America and this world yet.

While I have not always agreed with the policies or principles of President Bush, I have tried not to tie his name to a chain and drag it behind the car over gravel roads. I honestly don't know what it feels like to be in the place he has been in during these years, or to carry the responsibility he has carried around. I can judge his decisions based only on my perspective, which is very limited. And so I have prayed, as instructed by the God I serve.

I can't imagine the amount of pressure that job carries with it, and expectation and power. To watch these leaders change over the years they are in office is an amazing thing. Their faces age so quickly and their countenance changes abruptly. Today Mr. Bush looked almost a bit giddy at a few places, probably over the possibility of getting out of that office.

But it is a day for new direction and policy for America, and I shall be watching with interest as the new leadership attempts to negotiate the difficulties of war and recession and campaign promises, any one of which would be enough to make me run in the other direction.

 

I close with this reminder:
I urge you, first of all, to pray for all people. Ask God to help them; intercede on their behalf, and give thanks for them. Pray this way for kings and all who are in authority so that we can live peaceful and quiet lives marked by godliness and dignity. This is good and pleases God our Savior, who wants everyone to be saved and to understand the truth. 

1 Timothy 2

1 comment:

  1. I didn't get to watch the proceeding till tonight. Quite a spectacle! What a sense of hope people have.

    Obama has a huge responsibility and will need all of God's help for sure. People have such high expectations of Obama - almost like a god - and of course he is not, not can he work magic. I liked the comment one person made - that he realized that Obama is going to need them all to work together to bring about good changes. Hope enough people realize that and put aside their differences to work for good.

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.