Thursday, June 20, 2019

Stress and the normal human being (Part 32 on the theme)

I used to be, well I guess, normal when it came to stress.


I could handle it and manage it and keep it usually in its place.
Oh there were always little physical symptoms that might creep out. But in my younger days I could carry it much easier.

But these days it's a bit more of a challenge. It has to do with my chronic health condition the Dr. says. Living with a compromised body etc. etc.

I had a high stress event two weekends ago. A wedding. The likes of which I've done many times before. But I found myself so nervous, so struggling to focus, to speak clearly.  The high level of stress was new to me.

I mean I always feel butterflies but this was my first wedding in a year and so I was being extra careful not to miss a thing. Then today I got a call from Vital Statistics that needed some other info on the registration I sent them that they think I missed. I'm still not sure if I missed it or they changed the rules. Either way, it's up to me to get it right. So thats all good, but it's the first time that has happened.

Then last week I was involved in meetings locally at church as we discern and make some decisions for the future. Hours of meetings over a few days where I would consider my stress level was at a 13 out of 10. Finally last weekend, the whole weekend was a 7 or 8 out of 10 for stress, with peaks past 10.


I am trying to reflect and consider if the actual stress levels are higher or if it's how I process the events that increases the stress levels in me. I suspect its the latter.

I am kinda surprised how stress feels to me now. It's a bit like fear and food poisoning put together.  With lots of self doubt mixed in there.

But our capacity for these things changes, yes I know.

I just need to remind myself that capacity change is normal. That I can expect these changes even though I may think I'm not ready for them, still they come.


Still they come.



No comments:

Post a Comment



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.