Monday, July 28, 2003

Round pastors in a square holed church

In a comment left on "Leading Dying Churches"  Leighton Trebay wrote:



I've had a handful of my friends go in to youth ministry. Most of them came out spiritually compromised and deeply disillusioned with church. I know these people weren't lazy and I'm not sure bad pastoral theology would kill you in 18 months. In my denomination it seems about 1/2 of the people who try to get in to pastoral ministry are out forever within 3 years.


I can't speak to the issues of pastoral laziness because I haven't really seen things from that side. If pastors are lazy, they sure don't let me know, they all seem to be quite busy to me. Maybe that is part of the problem. Church does make it difficult for people to be real, and pastors are often very isolated people. Combine that with unrealistic expectations from church people and throw in a little politics and it seems clear to me how that can be a dangerous spiritual environment.


In an odd twist I find that the people who subscribe to modern leadership ideals are the ones who survive in ministry. I can't speak for their spirituality, but their survival is evident. From my perspective I don't think I could survive in ministry without compromising on my ideals and going for the J. Maxwell kind of stuff.


Your thoughts?



 


I think that much of the trouble comes from expectations placed on pastors.


I agree that I think we've exchanged our understanding and desire for a pastor, for one of a "Leader." This may also be as a result of creating large churches.


I suspect that Pastors/shepherds hearts were made to care and help a few, some, not 500 or 1000 people. The large churches needed managers, or "Leaders" -administrative guys with a heart for Jesus.


Since larger is always better (Just check your spam email to confirm this!) the smaller churches began looking for the guys who whould help them get bigger. Pastor/Leaders. Expectations were created.


And, since pastors/shepherds are concerned for the 12, or whatever the small number may be, they couldn't fit the expectations any longer, and fall away.


"North American Evangelicalism" has geared it's pastoral ministry towards "Pastor/Leaders" as opposed to "Pastor/shepherds." The stress of being gifted as a pastor/shepherd and trying to live in that shadow can be unbelieveable.


And, as Leighton concludes; "Combine that with unrealistic expectations from church people and throw in a little politics and it seems clear to me how that can be a dangerous spiritual environment."


Burnout is the next stop on that train ride.





3 comments:

  1. Randall,

    Please keep being a pastor/shepherd to us. We can't give you all the perks of a huge congregation in return for your gift of shepherding us - but you have our prayers, our thanks and our love.



    And forgive us the petty politics and the superhuman expectations - we sheep are known to be pretty dumb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christ sure didn't take on too many disciples specifically in his ministry on earth did he. Even they were still really messed up after 3 years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's taken me this many years to come to terms with the fact that my gifting is as a pastor/shepherd, as much as I would like the other, more glamorous pastor/leader.



    And, I probably balk against this gifting more than the people I care for. Hey we all just wanna be loved.



    And, i think that while Jesus was on this turf, it was and still is impossible to love a thousand people like we're called to love, with God's love.



    So thanx sheep #1, I'll keep loving or trying to love. Thanks for your patience with my identity struggles.

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.