Saturday, December 27, 2003

What else I got for christmas?

Ah yes, I got two kids with major spewing, coughing colds. I got one kid with head lice (Yeah.) I got one family van with no brakes, and I got a sleepless night last night.


Actually I just re-read that last line and it's a wonder I'm in a good mood at all!


The stresses of this Christmas seem to have tensed me up a bit. I find I need time to chill out and just enjoy things, so this Christmas has been a little hard on us all.


The kids got sick just as Christmas day was upon us, and the van's brakes began to fail the night before Christmas. We had to drive about 140 kms to my folks on Christmas day, so we made it there and back. But of course no shops were open to help fix it! I've got an appointment on Monday for the van.


Then, we discover one of the twerps has visitors on their head... say no more. Um, maybe I should say more, the kid uses MY hairbrush!!


But last night Lauralea and I walked over to some friends for a nice time of visiting and exotic foods and drinks. It was fun. Tomorrow I've arranged to use a friends van, so we are off to Saskatoon to a larger Friesen gathering for the late afternoon. Actually it's supper in a town called Martensville.


Then I get our final week of holidays off, so I'm really looking forward to that. Hopefully we won't be stranded at home without a van the whole week!! Just hang out, do some things with the kids and Lauralea.


Tomorrow I'm speaking at church. The first Sunday after Christmas, especially such a close one, is always a difficult one to preach, I find. It's not a good time to be doing any deep teaching sermons, nor do a lot of people feel ready for a sermon. So I usually try something a bit different. Tomorrow I'm going to use Brad's parable of the other night, and read it (With proper credit!!) and talk a bit about grace and Gods love. I think it will be a real nice morning.


So, I trust you'all are doing well. Keep chilling and visiting.


Blessings.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Randall for the parable - and yes Brad he did give you proper credit. I hadn't gotten around to really reading it - had just skimmed it over a bit yesterday. Randall - good job bringing it to life.



    On another note - I will remember to pray for all the stuff going on at your house and for your poor sick van.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good heavens - I thought we'd had a busy Christmas. My commiserations for all of it.



    Brakes shouldn't be a big deal. Did you hear nasty metal on metal scraping noises every time you braked? If so it's probably just pads, and should be a cheap fix if you haven't taken the discs out. It's the sort of thing I used to do myself, although not in the snow at -25'C!



    As for the lice, I understand massaging conditioner into the hair and leaving it for a while will deal with the live ones. You'll probably need a special shampoo to kill the nits (eggs) though. All the schools round here seem to go through epidemics with them, and then everyone including families have to be treated. Funny, coz growing up in crowded London, I don't remember anyone getting Lice. In fact the chant "you've got fleas" was really silly, since no-one ever had.



    Wish you all a peaceful new year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I became well aquainted with critters last year at our house. It's always the same kid and it's been three times with her. Anyways just some advice on products to use. We tried three different toxic products "guaranteed" to work and spent hours combing through only to find the critters still alive time after time. The school recommended teatree oil shampoo and it worked great. It's a natural product and can be used anytime. We used it about once a week after just to be safe. Nice product.

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.