Thursday, January 22, 2004

Pastor?

Chris Marshall writes this about pastoring:



"I spent 10 years climbing the ladder in evangelical ministry, being groomed to be the next super "up front" leader and what I learned is that it had more to do with being an American success story than anything to do with Christ following. I would go as far to say that until I learned to love 2 or 3 and be content in my giftedness, I really never understood what pastoring was. I believe the pastor who will thrive in the future will be one that turns in their pulpit for a guest bedroom, their preaching for true hospitality, their "up front" role for a towel and basin. Hospitality, which fosters powerful organic relationships underground will be the bridges that the Holy Spirit will use to bring healing to our communities. (by the way, women generally kick arse in this area). So men, learn how to clean a toilet and make a bed. Learn how to cut the vegetables and clean the dishes. Learn how to listen in conversation to people's stories as they share lives over a meal and be ready to respond with warmth and empathy with nobody to notice what your doing. The future leader will not be an expositor but a diakanos (table servant). If this is not enough for you, then let me end with this question: Who told you to be successful?"


I think i like that. I like that just fine.


 

6 comments:

  1. Maybe Pastors are also like nurses or therapists; Jesus being the physician. So, on his orders, the hurting parts are touched and cared for. Applying the warmth of God?s love, blood is encouraged to flow in parts that have poor circulation. Parts that are becoming stiff from age are stretched so that they can move along with the younger parts of the body. We are fitted with lenses to help us see God?s grace and goodness and hearing aids to help us hear his voice. And a pastor?s love for his people will apply bandages to bleeding parts and will even encourage us to swallow some bitter medicine. A pastor should never try to become God just as a nurse should not try to take the place of the doctor. But a doctor needs a capable auxiliary to carry out the necessary steps at the patient level to promote healing and maintain health. And if that auxiliary does the job adequately but without love and care, the orders may get done but the patient won?t see and understand that the physician cares and has their best interests at heart.



    And women probably "kick arse" in the nursing department too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was reading last night where Jesus said the disciples need to "lead from the back" so to speak. I had a thought that we expect the people we appoint as leaders to serve us - we appoint politicians based on what they say they'll do for us, and perhaps also pastors based on how well we think they'll serve us and the church. So true leadership IS actually about being a servant. It's when you start wanting to be better than those you serve, to take advantage of your position for your own comfort, put yourself above the place of a servant - that's when corruption etc set in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having been part of 2 significant streams of the 'active' church in the UK, I've definitely seen one stream make 'leaders' and one makes 'servants'. An interesting contrast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Arse"?!?!?!?



    No, no, no, no, NO! If you're going to swear in English, you must use the American vernacular. It's a Law, I think. Next thing you know, schools wont teach "English" anymore, but rather "American". It's all part of our World Domination Plot, folks.



    Butchering the Engli- uh...American Language aside, it's a good post. But I do think all of the pastors that I know are Table Servants. Just ask Brad how many times I've appeared at his door around dinner time. Perhaps I'm just blessed with good pastors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, we call ourselves Christians, do we? As in "Christ"followers, or ones who do what Christ did? You're absolutely right, Randall. Pick out an apron guys and gals, or a soft, fluffy, 'Downey" rinsed towel to go with the basin of cleansing water.... and we're ready to love the masses........enter one 'street person'...... oh, my, am I really ready??????

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karl, I think it was a quote, rather than Randall. But otherwise you're right. Kick @rse isn't an expression you would find amoung 'English' speaking people.

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.