Saturday, May 29, 2004

Mary Friesen

In Loving Memory of
Mary Friesen


Saskatoon, Saskatchewan


Born - April 4, 1917         Passed Away - May 22, 2004
Age - 87 Years


Funeral Service
Saturday, May 29,2004
10:00 A.M.
Cornerstone Church


 


I remember as a child I would occasionally tag along with Grandma and Grandpa to a crusade meeting in a church or arena. And we would all have our own responsibilities. Grandpa would preach, of course, and my duty was to carry grandmas purse.


This was truly the mother of all purses. It took every ounce of strength I had to get that purse into the building safely, without letting it hit the ground. Of course I knew there was candy in it or else I would have suggested we just leave it in the car.


Grandma had a duty too, she was praying.



She wrote:
"My greatest responsibility lies in the area of intercessory prayer. John relies greatly on my intercession in preparation of radio messages and the completion of master programs for the radio stations. All of my family members are in my prayers daily.


Many of the prayer requests from listeners are brought to my attention. It is a real blessing to hear how the Lord answers prayers in the life of people who are with us on a weekly basis.


I sense an awesome responsibility when church women and pastor's wives unload their marital and family problems on me. That is the time I really rely on your prayers."



Grandpa wrote:



When I was away from home I seldom telephoned Mary, for several reasons; the cost of the telephone call; we were lonely for each other, and if I did call we became so emotional that we did not communicate to well. We had the privilege to write to each other.


Early in the morning I'd spend a few minutes writing, or late at night. What joy when a letter came from home! The separation from a loving wife and growing children often was painful, but I rejoiced to hear from loved ones at home. Mary is the best letter writer!


On one of the trips to South America, we stopped at mission stations in many countries. While my letters were waiting for me at every stopover, my co-traveller received his letters at one of the farthest points. How was this possible?  Mary had my travel schedule and gave each letter sufficient time to arrive before I did. What a blessing!


Why was it important that our correspondence be kept up? {One reason was} that being co-workers we needed to be informed to pray intelligently.


The assurance of intercessory prayer and moral support serves as endowment of power from above.  



That quiet, determined woman behind John D. Friesen was Mary.


 


Obituary


Mary Friesen was born on April 4, 1917 at Chortiz, Saskatchewan.  She married John Friesen on October 20, 1940.  Together they embarked in the ministry.  Mom supported dad as a minister in his various positions.  She accompanied him to various churches, nursing homes, hospital chapels, etc.  Her presence was a constant source of strength for her husband. 


They travelled together, too.  Mom read poems on the Gospel Message radio program. She loved music.  As a young couple they sang duets.  During their courtship they also played guitar. At Bethany Manor, mom played the autoharp and omnichord in the orchestra.  This group became very active in serving at various nursing homes, etc.


Mom's life revolved around her husband.  She enjoyed singing, cooking, baking, and crocheting.  Puzzles and work puzzles were her hobby for years.  She definitely spent much time in prayer for her husband, children, grandchildren, and others.  Memorizing Bible verses and having time with God were an important part of her life.  Mom was a woman of prayer.


It seemed that her life was over after she helped the family plan dad's funeral.  Many health struggles over the years she faced bravely. On the evening of May 20, her body & spirit were exhausted.  She kept her faith till the end at age 87.  She was not perfect but she did finish the race that God had planned for her.


She leaves to mourn her twin sons, Reuben & Ernest (wives  Eva & Rose), daughter Johanna (husband, Dirk) and her grandchildren: Randall(Lauralea), Gaylene, Jeffrey, Robyn Friesen, Barry, Brad(Krista) Friesen and Gwen Peters(Myron), Bryant(Lynette), Ryan (Juanita) & Clinton (Dianne) van Kuik and great grandchildren: Johanna, Hilliary, Thomas, Micah Friesen, Nicolas & Abbigail Peters, Marijka, Analia, & Emma van Kuik.  She also leaves sister-in-law, Helen Klassen, nieces & nephews of the Smith family.  She was predeceased by her husband, daughter, parents, sister, brother and other family.


Mom went to be with her Saviour on May 25, 2004 (on dad's funeral date).  We are thankful that you & dad are together again.  You will always be in our hearts!


 

4 comments:

  1. The obituary tells me a couple of things - you had a great grandmother and that we grandmothers can also leave a heritage for our grandchildren. So maybe some of your writing gifts and your knowledge of what prayer can do was passed on to you from your grandmother. Maybe that is one of our greatest priviledges as grandmothers - praying for our grandkids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an encouragement to read of your grandparents, Randall.... and what hope it gives us as we walk the path towards our goal. Faithful prayer folk really are the "crazy glue" that keeps us all together in the family of God - the results are evident in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really touching, cuz it was on one of John D. Friesen's revival meetings that I accepted Christ into my life....and now, his grandson is my pastor! That's pretty amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's pretty cool as well Mary Ann.

    Even after all these years I still follow in his footsteps.

    :)

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.