Thursday, October 07, 2004

Party on Wayne, and Phil, and Grace, and Paul, and Toni, and Matt, and Marc and Tammy...

I really appreciated the dialogue on the previous post. That was (and still is I see!) a blast. My conclusion? Context is just about everything. Today's context finds me preparing a funeral for a man I never met. This is never easy, but I rediscovered a neat passage in Isaiah that is a wonderful reminder of our future. It also isn't as controversial (well, unless you wanna have a go over the "well aged wine" thing!)
On this mountain the Lord of hosts will make for all peoples a feast of rich food, a feast of well-aged wines, of rich food filled with marrow, of well-aged wines strained clear. And he will destroy on this mountain the shroud that is cast over all peoples, the sheet that is spread over all nations; he will swallow up death forever. Then the Lord God will wipe away the tears from all faces, and the disgrace of his people he will take away from all the earth, for the Lord has spoken. It will be said on that day, Lo, this is our God; we have waited for him, so that he might save us. This is the Lord for whom we have waited; let us be glad and rejoice in his salvation. Isaiah 25:6-9
Sounds like we've got invitations to a real blowout, a party to make all other previous parties seem like quaint little get-togethers. This is one party I don't want to miss, for anything.


1 comment:

  1. Various original commentsMay 31, 2010 at 5:11 PM

    Marc Vandersluys said at 12:20 pm on October 7th, 2004:
    No kidding! I gotta be there.
    I remember reading/hearing somewhere about a passage in the Pentateuch where it says that if someone was not able to make it to the temple for their tithe (or wherever they were to bring it) that they should take the money/produce/whatever and use it to buy “fermented drink” etc. and have a feast…(or something along those lines)
    God is not as uptight as we often make him out to be!


    2Linea said at 12:34 pm on October 7th, 2004:
    Two refernces to well aged wine in one sentance – must mean something!
    I love this image of the feast. And even if I don’t see people again on this earth I have this expectation of a huge celebration when we see each other again in heaven. My friends from the Congo and around the world, relatives and friends who have gone on before, my children and grandchildren and those coming along after. It is going to be one big party. And the host – he will be there.


    3Grace said at 2:48 pm on October 7th, 2004:
    It sounds like this party might lay to rest all our concerns about the T shirt, eh?
    I wonder how old “aged wine” in heaven really is? I keep telling myself that it shouldn’t be too long now until I find out! I can hardly wait!


    4Sharon said at 3:46 pm on October 7th, 2004:
    I hope He’s cooking turkey……I’m sure he will ’cause He knows I like it……what a Savior!


    5Paul Johnston said at 3:40 pm on October 8th, 2004:
    I think the parties already started. Christ has died. Christ has risen. I guess its just a question of whether or not we want to go.
    On a somewhat related topic, what’s your take on the wedding feast miracle. Jesus, at the request of his mother, turns water into wine, for a group of revellers who, according to the steward, are already drunk… To everything, there is a season???


    6Randall said at 6:54 pm on October 8th, 2004:

    Ah Paul, the mysteries of God.


    7Marc Vandersluys said at 10:17 pm on October 8th, 2004:
    Yes, I love that wedding at Cana mystery. And I scoff at those who say it was “non-alcoholic”…


    8jean said at 8:41 am on October 9th, 2004:
    marc: You may be scoffing on the other side of your face when you face Christ. jean


    9Andrew said at 9:40 pm on October 10th, 2004:
    ? can you elaborate, Jean?

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.