Sunday, November 07, 2004

Roughriders 14 at Eskimos 6

Well, the lamest sight you will ever see, is our TV room during the CFL playoff's.


I grew up in a football watching family where you watched it together, Sunday afternoons! Heck, I remember one Grey Cup game final, I had to spend half the game in my room doing my math homework, which nearly killed me...


I digress.


Leaving home for college, football was still a serious undertaking for me.


I remember the exciting Sunday afternoons spent with friends at some like minded faculty members homes, watching the CFL games played in the snow and cold wind. How when our team did well we would yell and holler and high five each other like we had just made the catch ourselves. And we would console each other as we walked back to our dorms when our teams lost.


There is something profoundly community-esk when you watch an important game together. It's like Christmas morning opening the presents with your family, only without the pajamas. 


So, today at the lunch table when I announced the finals were on and Saskatchewan was heading into the finals, everybodys eyes glazed over, again. And I ended up in the family room watching the game on the ol'e 27 inch colour TV surrounded by empty chairs and an echo-ie, hollow sound in the room.


How sad is it that when our team makes a good play and I cheer, somebody comes downstairs to check if I'm ok. Or when we get a touchdown to seal the victory I jump up and high five - nobody. Embarrassing really. 


So, if Saskatchewan wins next Sunday then heads into the final the following Sunday, I recon I'll have two more Sunday afternoons alone.


The good part is that it won't cost too much for the Grey Cup party I'll host for myself, on the last Sunday!! Maybe I'll even get some real expensive snacks for myself. 


Course, then you will know where the family will be.


 

5 comments:

  1. I think I've told you this before, but I really like the idea of watching sports with a group of people. It's always hard, though, because, unless it's the NHL, I never know who's who. Plus I'm not up with all the lingo.



    That being said, if you ever need to have a second person in the room (even if just for someone to high-five with), give me a call.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's almost as bad as watching with a heavily medicated family, who's newly engaged brother keeps saying , " oh well, they missed that throw, but it doesn't matter, I'm getting married !"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, would you like some salt with that wound!!



    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Sunday afternoon sounds like a mirror of mine. The weird thing is that I'm generally not a sports fan, but for some reason I've always been interested in the fortunes of the 'Riders, going right back to the era of Ron Lancaster and George Reed. Generally during the regular season I don't go out of my way to watch their games, but I'll often have the radio on while I do something else. To actually have the lovable losers in the playoffs is such a treat that I make a point of booking our TV room. If the Riders make it as far as the Grey Cup, I'll probably be able to convince Janet to watch with me. Till then it's a lonely life. Let me know if you want company this Sunday (after they got robbed at B.C. Place a couple of weeks ago, the Riders ought to be out for revenge).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I quit caring when Winnipeg lost.



    you can go and LOSE with those ruff-riders.

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.