Thursday, January 20, 2005

Heading South for the warmth

There is a pendulum that swings in my life and every year around spring time it makes it's regular appearance. I think it's just a spring fever, itchy feet thing. It's the "if I could live anywhere, where would I live" question. Apparently I am an indecisive blighter.


You see, a part of me would love nothing better than to move to some very small prairie or seaside town where one car will pass by your house each day, and when that happens, everyone in the house comes running to see who it is going past.


A place where you have to "walk uptown" each day to get the mail and the community paper will list your out of town visitors for the week. You know, the kind of quiet restful place that allows room for an "Inner life."


Then, there are days in which I absolutely crave a large city. A city with a virtual cornucopia of media options. Large long streets to explore and find the little gems. A used book store, an amazing mom and pop restaurant with food never before experienced. People of colour, all varieties, and languages and smells. Places to take classes and galleries to discover the latest new artist as well as the old masters. You know, the kind of busy place that allows room for an "Outer life!"


The city I live in is a pretty fair mix of the two. I see it as God being gracious to me. I know that after a week the small town would pretty much make me crazy and I'd probably yell at the writer of the local rag to mind her own darn business about who is and isn't visiting me at any given time. And after two weeks the word probably wouldn't be darn.


Nor would I always enjoy the big city noise and lights and activity. I would probably take to escaping to the lakes where I would have to buy a cabin and spend all my time in the city working to pay for the cabin I purchased so that I could enjoy more peace in my life...


You see, I am a blighter indeed.


Prince Albert leans towards the quieter end of things, and I'm fine with that. But God knows my "Big City Spasms" and has created opportunities for me to be in larger locations. I get to attend board meetings in large Western Canadian cities. And once a year I have opportunity to get to Chicago, for pastors meetings and continuing education stuff. This is proof to me that God does indeed like me.


So, I'm preparing to be over stimulated in Chicago the first week of February. Honestly the best part of the trip is always in meeting new people and old friends. I know that some of you live down there and others of you will be there for the week too. So why don't we get together and hang out a bit.


Contact me here and let's make some plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.