Monday, January 17, 2005

Things are lookin up

Today after we took the car out to the shop for brake repairs, Lauralea and I headed downtown for coffee and a break. We got sidelined by a book sale, and when we get sidelined like that, well it usually means the rest of the day is gone.


Anyway, Laura picked up Tolstoy's War and Peace, (Showoff wants to read it again) and George Eliot's Adam Bede. A 598 page head turner by her account. I got "A Song for Relinquishing the Earth," a collection of poetry by Jan Zwicky. Lauralea doesn't always get the poetry I like. She likes it all to rhyme. She likes Tolstoy, and hey, I like free verse, what can I say?


Except maybe for a quote: 



a place of worship
a laying down of arms.
Open Strings
are ambassadors from the republic of silence.
They are the name of that moment when you realize
clearly, for the first time,
you will die. After illness.
the first startled breath.


And the one book we could agree on was "Food of the World, Italy" by Linda Doeser. A great picture, recipe theme book on the great foods of Italy. The whole collection cost us $13, what a steal.


So, we were motivated. We came home and planned an Italian Supper, complete with my Inspirational Aglio e Olio, (without the anchovies). We used a recipe from the new book for stuffed tomato's and got some Italian bread and broiled some chicken and, mama mia, we ate well today. Of course, the kids don't realize just how well we ate! "What's an anchovy? There's fish in here? in the Tomato?" Blah blah blah.


So, nice day today, oh and the weather is warming up nicely from the -40C it was yesterday morning.  Right now it's -14C. What a difference a day makes with this weather.


 


Also, if you're interested, you can check out a site I've been working on for a couple months now. It's finally up and running. The Bison Cafe, here in Prince Albert. You may recall how the first time I found it, it was like finding hidden treasure. Well, I got to help them out a bit too, with the site.


Now, since Monday Night Football is over for the year, it's time for some freeverse!

3 comments:

  1. There was a booksale in town?!? Where? Did I miss the library sale again? I love booksales (even though I really don't need any more books)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice cafe site. The only comment I'd make is that the last photo (find a comfy seat) doesn't really show much in the way of comfy seats ;-)



    Glad you're feeling better and enjoying a little taste of Europe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I notice that the Bison Cafe websiste is "designed by DryCold" ... a positive statement, given a recent rant about the weather.

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.