Wednesday, April 27, 2005

All in a days work


Two visitors today, two interesting moments.

Visitor number one, shows up at the church in a car. He communicates to
me his great need, of which I have no reason to doubt. He then precedes
to tell me an extensive story of how he called the church earlier,
before I arrived, and a man told him to come down and he would receive
some cash.
Now, I was the only guy at the church during the whole morning, and I
didn't promise any cash. And secondly I don't give out cash from the
church at all. I'll give you food, diapers some meds, but not cash.
I've learned that the hard way.

If you have a need, communicate your need ok? I will do what I can to help you, but there's no need to string me a line.

He left with a bag of groceries.

My second visit was the kind of thing that happens now and then, and I
really don't always know what to do with it. So I usually listen and
try to hear God in it. This person was there because God has called her
to this "great ministry" opportunity.

She's traveling from town to town apparently without any church
contacts in the towns she's visiting, seeking support for her agenda.
It's Gods will, period.

What am I suppose to do with that?

I listen and am careful with our commitment level. I try to be
encouraging, because God may have indeed called them to do this, He
just hasn't communicated our involvement level to us yet.

Today's visitor was willing to hear me be cautious. They aren't always that gracious.

Lessons from the day? Don't lie to the hand that's trying to feed you.
Just be honest. And, If you're doing something God has told you to do,
don't assume He's told everyone else that bit of information
too.

Just for future reference.



2 comments:

  1. The whole issue of "calling" is one that's interesting to me. Not too long ago, someone tried to explain to me that they were "called" to a ministry where all signs pointed the OTHER way. But if we questioned, we weren't questioning the person, but essentially God, and God's call on their life.



    So, what is a call? Is it something only you, the called, can see? Or is it something others can also discern. How do you really know when you've been called -- or just have persuaded yourself this is the direction you really want to go?



    I have no idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once knew a guy who told every girl he liked that God told him that she was to be his wife....um yeah....the standard answer was, "yeah, when God tells me, I'll call you."....but it must have worked eventually...he is married.

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.