Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Anne Bancroft, Dead at 73

I've never seen "The Graduate" and I only slightly recall her in "The Miracle Worker" in which she played Helen Keller's teacher. But I did see her in "84 Charing Cross" Road playing opposite Anthony Hopkins, and I loved it. Her character was an authentic New Yorker, and there was a reality that the film captured about that time in the history of the world. It's one of my favourites.


Her husband of some 40 years, Mel Brooks, purchased the rights to the book for her birthday one year. 

2 comments:

  1. Well, I do recall The Graduate....'68? I had already finished highschool. It was one of those "sinful adventures" that one may take when one is now "grown up".....and not a Christian! Ms. Bancroft (who was probably in her late 30's) played the part extremely well as did Dustin Hoffman.....infatuation......a strange beast. The movie was a classic, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The Miracle Worker" was a classic, too, and Anne was wonderful in it.



    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.