Thursday, October 27, 2005

Let it S*** let it S*** let it S***

Tonight is the kind of night that makes you glad that you don't have to go out.


It's raining and windy and cold out there. The sky is darker than just the normal sun goes down kind of dark. The clouds are low and of course it means only one thing. Snow.


Snow. The first snowfall used to make my spirit light and happy. Gently falling snow that mutes the noise and blankets everything with a clean holy whiteness.


Then why now do I dislike it so.


It's a loaded thing don't you know. It means getting out different, heavier clothes. And if you don't have them, you will need to go buy them. It means getting used to driving differently again, for the next five months. It means covering the windows with plastic and having the furnace on all the time. It means cars that won't start or won't blow warm air. It means wet frozen hands and feet, and kids driving in that slippery mess and, and, and...


I seem to be disliking it more and more as I age and I don't understand that. Why is that?


I would love to love the first snow fall of the season. I wish I could love slippery sidewalks and falling on the ice.


I know it will get better, but for some reason lately the first snowfall just guts me.


So, let it come. Let it snow and let me learn to like it.


It looks like I'm going to get another chance to learn to like it, real soon.


 

6 comments:

  1. Colin & I were watching Survivor tonight, and after seeing all kinds of critters - snakes, insects, you name it, Colin looked at me and said "Bring on the blizzards, so I don't have to deal with things like that".



    You can find reasons to like snow if you really want to...tarantulas are mine.



    But I may not be so quick to see the positives in January.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let it what?!



    Snow also means wearing cozy sweaters without sweating. It means hot cups of tea that settle nicely in the pit of your stomach and warm you from the inside out.



    And, aside from the price of energy, the furnace running all the time is great: what a wonderful, soothing background noise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love the snow, as you well know. The parts about it you don't like, I don't like either. Who wants a broken hip/leg/arm/nose (fill in the blank)? But the snuggly, stormy, fire place, cup 'o tea kinds of days - those could keep me going for a long while......crazy?....probably.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I learned to love the snow and cold by living where there was no hope of either. Hot is good. Hot without relief is not good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definately enjoy watching it snow. I even look at driving in it as an enjoyable challenge unless I'm in a hurry. But I hate getting stuck in it. Not stuck with a vehicle but stuck with my wheelchair.



    Parking lots are the worst. Those disabled persons' (handicapped) parking spots that are just wide enough in the summer for my van, ramp & me to dismount are too small when the little pile of snow gathers up against the edge of the medians that some genius thought would be a cute & good idea to install in the newer parking lots like at Saskatoon's box malls.



    Yes, as beautiful as snow is & as much as I love ice fishing, I tend to frequent places with underground parking when the snow is thick. I gotta agree with Christy though... no creepy crawlies or critters. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Coming snow means ice, and ice means HOCKEY!! oh man...I've been married to Steve for tooo long!!

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.