Friday, October 28, 2005

Riding in cars with nerds

Conversation between Hillary and Thomas on the way to school.


H: "Hmm, I wonder how I did on that Algebra competition."


H: "The question was one where you had to start with this number and end with that number using only fours."


T: "It's four plus four divided by four multiplied by..."


H: "Yes but then you need a { } in there and a ! in there too, but I forget what its called but it does this !."


T: "Well then you need to do this % first ......."


I smiled as I drove thinking of those simpletons who put ME in general math in grade eleven because I "Couldn't handle" algebra. 


Ah these fertile loins.



Course all I heard was "Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah, Blah Blah, Blah Blah Blah Blah."

8 comments:

  1. well, I did not take general math. These days I might have had to. I can't imagine calculus. I think I passed on some of my discalculia to my kids. Now-a-days when people around me start talking numbers al I hear is the blah blah blah think too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're kids sound like my kind of people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really do like being around nerds though. I've learned quite a bit actually - except of course, the number stuff....that part of my brain just doesn't come through...go 'figure'...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate math. Maybe hate is a strong word. But I am not the greatest at math.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow..I am so screwed when Jorja hits grade 12, 17 years from now. What is math class going to be like then? It will probably make e=mc2 look like child's play. Sheesh...I don't even know if I know how to do long division by "hand" anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  6. dont kid yourself...the math gene if from Laura....you gave out the tall gene

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Randall. FWIW I got 'unclassified' for maths when I left school. That meant less than 10% of the available marks.



    {shrug}

    ReplyDelete
  8. Robyn, Randall gave out the strange, weird, quirky gene.

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.