Thursday, October 13, 2005

Weyerhauser burning it's bridges. Updated.

You may have already heard the news that Weyerhauser is pulling out of Prince Albert early in the new year.


Now, in the past Weyerhauser has been a reasonably good corporate citizen. They have contributed plenty of cash to worthwhile groups in the city. I understand they have donated a lot to youth organizations, I think they even contributed to a youth program we were running a while ago.


But early on today I received the news that on October 1, Weyerhauser pulled the insurance coverage for their workers. That's some four days before they released the news to their employees. I suspect many of them are not even aware of it yet.


I don't know if this effects all levels of employees, or just a small group. But it seems a bitter shot at the workers families. There should be better ways to lay off 700 people.


And for all those people out there still thinking this whole "shut the mill down" thing is a trick Weyerhauser is employing for bargaining purposes, I think it's pretty clear. They are burning their bridges behind them.


Update:


I returned to "my sources" and they confirmed a change in the Insurance companies. Either Weyerhauser shifted its position, or the Insurance company was withholding payouts on it's own. Possibly till they clarified their position re:Weyerhauser.


So get the teeth and glasses done now folks, while you still can!

9 comments:

  1. Yikes. That doesn't sound good. Can they legally do that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a way to end an era? As a lifelong Prince Albertan, I grew up with so many friends whos folks either worked at the mill or worked for a company contracted by the mill. And though you can try to speak on environmental levels of how this may be good in the long run, it can not be good in those homes tonight and every night until people feel like they have something else to move on to. Praying for my "hometown" today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in the thick of it and it's no trick! I'm very optimistic about everything working out positively - only because our God reigns - and we've been asking him for his help. We, as a community, are at His mercy and he's brining us to our knees - right where we should be. A whole whack of folks praying could change a city into something beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How incredibly sad.



    Having been in the position where Colin was laid off, I can't imagine the slap in the face this added knowledge would bring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, my uncle works, my uncle's brother, and a friend all work at the mill. But at least my aunt has a secure job. My uncle knew that this job at the mill wasn't secure. Let's pray that some other company buys the mill so nobody loses their jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have asked three separate Weyerhaeuser employees about whether their benefits packages have been terminated, and they all replied to the contrary.



    Regarding the mill closure, I think Weyerhaeuser has been a good corporate citizen, and like any business, they have no obligation to provide jobs to people if they can't make a profit while doing so. More important than the pulp mill itself is the wood supply from the Forest Management Agreement area. There is a sustainable supply of timber for another company to replace Weyerhaeuser, perhaps not producing pulp and paper, but another product that is more in demand. One of my fears is that the government might take it over and run it as a money-losing crown corporation (again).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Phil



    I'm getting various responses too. I will seek to confirm it, yes or no.



    But man, I too am nervous about the government stepping in there. Sure hope they don't try it.



    ReplyDelete
  8. Well they had a headline in the Daily Herald about a possible private company interested in taking over the mill. But it could all be just rumors. If the government do try and make it another crown corporation then something should be done. But hopefully that won't happen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope that my previous post doesn't come across as uncaring. The mill closure is a huge shock to P.A., especially the staff directly affected, but also people working for companies that rely on Weyerhaeuser. Having previously lost a job because of a downsizing, I sympathise with their plight, and I hope and pray that the employees will find continued employment. I also hope that they won't have to move away to find employment. However I have been hearing a certain amount of defeatist muttering about how Weyerhaeuser is an evil bully and the government must rescue the defenceless victims. By all means, I think that all levels of government should assist in finding a buyer, but I hope they will think long and hard before investing in the mill using the public purse.

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.