Thursday, October 13, 2005

Compline -evening prayer

I am alone typing tonight, and the only sound I hear is three stuffy snoring noses, sleeping deeply. Everybody is sick, except me thankfully. Tomorrow I'm off to Saskatoon to check on some people we have in the Hospital there. I'm also meeting with some of you, which I'm also looking forward to.


Tonight I'm thinking of these sick people I live with. I'm thinking of my daughter who is miles away. I'm thinking about some of you who are in seasons of life that are less than easy.


I'm thinking about the families who have someone who works at the mill. I'm thinking about the thousands of broken families in East Asia.


So much pain in this world, how do they make it without hope?


 


Pray with me tonight won't you...



Psalm 16
I have said to the Lord ?You are my Lord, in you alone is all my good?.
As for the holy and noble men of the land, in them is all my delight.
But for those who run to alien gods, their sorrows are many.
I will not share in their libations of blood. I will not speak their names.


You, Lord, are my inheritance and my cup. You control my destiny,
the lot marked out for me is of the best, my inheritance is all I could ask for.
I will bless the Lord who gave me understanding; even in the night my heart will teach me wisdom.
I will hold the Lord for ever in my sight: with him at my side I can never be shaken.
Thus it is that my heart rejoices, heart and soul together; while my body rests in calm hope.


You will not leave my soul in the underworld. You will not let your chosen one see decay.
You will show me the paths of life, the fullness of joy before your face, and delights at your right hand until the end of time.


 



Take pity on me, Lord, and listen to my prayer. Alleluia.


Into your hands, Lord, I commend my spirit.
You have redeemed us, Lord, God of faithfulness.
Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit.


Keep us safe, Lord, while we are awake, and guard us as we sleep, so that we can keep watch with Christ and rest in peace. Alleluia.
Now, Master, you let your servant go in peace.
You have fulfilled your promise.
My own eyes have seen your salvation, which you have prepared in the sight of all peoples.
A light to bring the Gentiles from darkness; the glory of your people Israel.


Keep us safe, Lord, while we are awake, and guard us as we sleep, so that we can keep watch with Christ and rest in peace. Alleluia.


Come to us, Lord, this night, and give us the strength to rise at dawn rejoicing in the resurrection of your Anointed, who lives and reigns for ever and ever,


Amen.


Taken from Universalis

3 comments:

  1. I guess that is why we call "Help Lord" because we couldn't make it without hope in him. There is not a lot of hope in anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are so many needs aren't there? Give us hearts of compassion and faith to pray.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We must focus on God. He is our hope. I had fear for a friend I am trying to reach & minister to. His arthritis had flared up terribly including a fever this week. He got out of the hospital this afternoon. Prayers are answered and I pray this comes as a small glimpse of hope to you all.

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.