Saturday, March 25, 2006

Softly and Tenderly


This week has been a full one, in terms of people and meetings. Some of the stories have been overwhelming to me. I have a friend who is fighting cancer, friends who are fighting for, and with, their children, and friends who struggle not to loose hope. Add to that a fight or two with the kids, and that my dad got some more news this week that is hard to receive, and you have the makings of a very heavy week.

So, last night I thought I´d finish the week early and head for the showers.

As I was getting into bed, I turned on the computer (With TV card installed) and checked the news. Then I stumbled upon the Vision network. They were running the Bill Gaither and Friends homcoming series and this one was just Hymns of the faith. In spite of taking family abuse whenever I watch this kind of music show, I left it on that channel and listened and watched a while.

Now, I really enjoy many diverse kinds of music, and Southern Gospel is one of those I enjoy. But as they sang the old hymns of faith I found my heart being cared for. The words and tunes entered me and swirled around inside, and they were medicine for the things of the week that were ailing me.

I let it play, in spite of the mocking from my family!

Weird that. I haven´t heard some of those tunes for a long long time, but one perfect moment and they restored my soul.

Then again, maybe it was the Spirit of the music who restored my soul.

Anyway, I gotta go see if I can find that CD someplace.

Then my family can hear the music anytime!

5 comments:

  1. I know a place where said CD can be found...actually, several places...

    ReplyDelete

  2. I'm headed to those places this afternoon.



    :)



    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it amazing how one song can do so much for one's soul, and seem to fit life's situation at the time perfectly?? My "song" these days is called "Your Faithfulness" by Brian Doerksen. Very powerful...you should try to check it out. That being said, take care and keep listening to that southern gospel! I grew up on that stuff, as well as the Gaithers, so it also holds a special place in my heart. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a little late, but I'm praying peace and restoration for you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a thing against bible bookstores, but we went last week. $120.00 later, we left.



    'Veggie Tales Worship' that Cole has on repeat, 'Rebecca St James' for my daughter and some amazing 'Watermark' tunes for Colin and I.



    As I was walking to the till with this stuff under my arm, Colin turned to me and said "Are you sure we should buy all this?", I turned to him fighting back the tears and said "I didn't realize until I got here how parched I am".



    Music is amazing...I can read and read, but nothing is as effective for me in touching God's heart as music.



    It's so nice to read your sentiments match mine. :)

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.