Wednesday, March 14, 2007

True Grit(s) (you know I had to make that the title!)

You wouldn't know it by looking at me but I am a grits lover.

I'm not sure how it happened but it was kinda love at first taste. Becky introduced it to my taste buds, and they haven't been the same since.

It's the whole, "This is suppose to taste sweet but it's rich and savoury instead," thing that goes on inside my mouth.

Anyway, I live like a million miles from Grits country so it's not like I ever have them enough to get tired of them.

But tonight at small group meeting, the sweet and virtuous Meg delivered a box into my trembling hand, and I was undone. Now for you purists out there, it was a box of Instant grits, but you're talking to a guy who has never owned a box of "Real" grits.

She had gone down to her home country for the weekend, kind of a surprised forced stay because of border "confusion" shall we say, and had some time to think, of me.

Bless her heart.

So tonight I raced home and cooked up a couple of cups of Grits, just like my momma never made. I added some grated cheddar cheese, butter, and salt and pepper, and dug in.

Mmmmm, warm and rich, peppery and cheesy and good.

Thanks Meg, for thinking of me, and thanks Becky, for introducing me to this delicacy.

2 comments:

  1. Cheddar cheese? Interesting. I guess I imagined it to be somewhat like porridge or cream of wheat, but I couldn't imagine putting cheese on either of those. That would be a desecration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only time I can recall eating grits was while on choir tour the year I attended a small midwestern US bible college, and we stopped at a roadside diner somewhere in Georgia. My classmates made an issue of the fact that I'd never tried grits ("he's from Canada, eh"). The waitress was puzzled but patient, even when I asked if they had sowbelly to go with my grits.
    (BTW, I've never gone out of my way to have grits again).

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.