Monday, January 14, 2008

The Bob Newhart Show

Comedian Bob Newhart plays Dr. Robert Hartley, a psychologist living in Chicago with his wife Emily, a schoolteacher. His neighbor, Howard Borden, is a divorced airplane navigator. One of Bob's best friends is Dr. Jerry Robinson, an orthodontist that works on the same floor as Bob. There's also Bob and Jerry's receptionist Carol Kester as well as a long list of patients of Bob's such as Elliot...



An old show but one that makes me laugh, even for some of its 1970's sensibilities.



Been watching a few episodes on a DVD set that I bought a long time ago.

The dress, and scenery and curtain material remind me of my growing up years. Kind of fun.

6 comments:

  1. We have the first 4 seasons of this show and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it. Such dead pan humor. Amazing. Our favorite of 2007.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, you are a rare breed indeed.

    We should have a BoBNewhart-A-Thone sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like fun! Who's your favorite character? Mine is, without a doubt, Howard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this may sound strange but my favourite character would be the city they live in, Chicago.

    Its such a big part of the show that they almost treat it as another character.

    When I grew up watching it I was always so awestruck by the size and beauty of the city.

    Now its a city I go to once a year for work, and its fun now to recognize those sights from the show in real life.

    Yeah, I enjoy the city
    cool realization that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's funny what captures us when we watch something "retro" like that. It's a cool thing to be able to relate to the city, be familiar with it. We also watched the first 4 seasons of Mary Tyler Moore and I could barely get through the opening song without (singing along AND) nearly being moved to tears because it so strongly took me back to my growing up years - the safety of being with my parents, the memories of the farm that is no longer in our hands. The show was great, too, but the song always reached a deep part of me that was tender.

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.