Saturday, July 07, 2012

A night Psalm on a hot night

Tonight the Hot has come to the field.
It's looking like it's here to stay for a week or so, but we are praying.

The season we are in may look like summer if the thermometer is to be believed, but the reality is that this is a shifting season. It's a time of endings and beginnings, and these seasons always require more work and attention so that nothing of value is lost along the way.

So work is plentiful.
And the heat makes the work much more demanding.

So as the sun starts it final descent and it looks like the temperature is down by a few degrees, I'll offer up this Psalm as an evening prayer.

You can make it your own, as you like.

__________________________________________
Night Psalm

Turn your ear to me, Lord, and hear me,
for I am poor and destitute.
Keep my life safe, for I am faithful;
O God, save your servant, who trusts in you.

Take pity upon me, O Lord,
for I call to you all the day long.
Make your servant´s heart glad,
for to you, O Lord, I have raised it.
For you, Lord, are gentle and mild:
you are kind to all those who call on you.

Let your ears hear my prayer, O Lord!
Turn to the voice of my pleading!
In my time of trouble I call on you,
for you, O Lord, will hear me.

No other god is like you, O Lord,
and nothing compares with your works.
All people, all nations you made
will come and worship before you;
they will give glory to your name.
For you are great, you work wonders:
you alone are God.

O Lord, teach me your paths,
and I will come to your truth.
Make my heart simple and guileless,
so that it honours your name.
I will proclaim you, Lord my God,
and give you praise with all my heart.
I will give glory to your name for ever,
for your great kindness is upon me:
you have rescued me from the deepest depths.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.