Thursday, May 30, 2019

The humiliation.


Augustine of Hippo, a fifth-century bishop and theologian, wrote, “The way to Christ is first through humility, second through humility, third through humility. If humility does not precede and accompany and follow every good work we do, if it is not before us to focus on, if it is not beside us to lean upon, if it is not behind us to fence us in, pride will wrench from our hand any good deed we do at the very moment we do it.”


These weeks have been weeks of personal challenges to life and work and how I do work. It feels like a personal dismantling of the ways I have worked in the past. That has to do with a strong work ethic and drawing my value from some of the difficult work that I do. I preach against that but I need to live it out now as well.  And truth be told, I have dreaded that part of my learning curve. Do you still have value when you can't do as much work? Of course you do.  But do I? Welllllll.....

It is, as Mr. Augustine says, a humbling road to walk if you are going to move towards God, and I have been making choices to move towards God more and more. I am relearning a few good lessons on this road and its a good road to be on, but it is a humiliating road as well.

I absolutely trust His character, even when in the midst of the humiliation. It's a road that leads to Him and so it leads to life and light.  Eventually.



2 comments:

  1. A question I ask sometimes - do people love you for what you do to and for them, or do they actually love you for who you are? I naturally serve others, but often wonder if they'd care if that serving were no longer possible.

    Which then also begs the question, where is our security?

    But I'm really sorry you're having to walk this path, and so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe that's also the test of real friends. Some like what I can do for them, some like me. When I get to thinking that I'm real important stuff, I am reminded that they'd think the next person to listen to them was loveworthy as well. I suppose it keeps me humble.

      Delete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.