Friday, May 10, 2019

The Season is Long

LORD, let me know my end and the number of my days : 
so that I may know how short my life is.
You have given me a mere handful of days, and my lifetime
is as nothing in your sight : truly, even those who stand erect
are but a puff of wind.
We walk about like a shadow, and in vain we are in turmoil :
we heap up riches and cannot tell who will gather them.
And now, what is my hope? : O Lord, my hope is in you.
Walk with us, Lord : the journey is long.
Psalm 39:5 - 8

That was in my prayer this morning.

The season has been long around here. My spirit is doing well considering the strain.  My body bears out that strain.

Since before Christmas my body has been changing. There are noticeable shifts in my health and though a part of me wants to yell and fight and make noise about it all, another part wants to simply be still and quiet and just fade away. I am tired.

As I say, generally my spirit has been well and in a good place, but even that is wearing thin. The Doctors are trying to help, but tell me this is the progression of my health story. There will be seasons of progression and seasons when it is silent. It's been a good season of remaining quiet, but since Christmas it seems to be advancing.

The church is good with its encouragement and support and I need to look at my work and let some things be done by others. Naps are an important part of my managing my life now.  Eating and walking are more important than ever. And I need to learn to manage the stress better, so I am trying a few new ideas. Those are the things I can control. The rest I cannot.

That's why todays scripture is a good reminder to me, not just in my health, but generally in life, that life is shorter than we may often feel. A puff of wind indeed. But the Lord knows the number of my days. I find deep solace in that.

If you're the praying sort, I'm an open and willing target. :)











1 comment:



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.