Wednesday, October 25, 2006

on why I didn't get to small group tonight. (Before you ask)

About once a month my lower back will just cramp up and the pain becomes quite exquisite. During those times I harken back to our pre-natal classes and I implement the pain management techniques they taught us. Usually I manage my way through the pain. Usually I am alone.

Today around 4 pm I felt the beginnings of it coming, so I prepared as much as I could. It continued to grow and intensify so that by 4:30 I just went home to wait it out.

By five it was totally having it's way with me, and by 5:30 the family was eating without me. I finally grabbed a couple of muscle relaxants and pain killers, and tried to stay out of everyone's way.

By 6:30 it started to ease up, and as it got better I realized how exhausted I was.

By 7:00 except for a few phantom shots of pain, it was mostly gone, and I was done for the day.

Wow, that was a big one.

My conclusion? I think I'd be rubbish at living with chronic pain. I think I'd be a miserable cranky old fart.

Or, I'd rise to the occasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.